Thursday, May 27, 2010

Take the High Road

(1) A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (2) The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly. (3) The eyes of the Lord are everywhere keeping watch on the wicked and the good. (4)The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”


Proverbs 15:1-4


As I read verse 3 of this text, I wondered to myself if we all would remember that-would our lives be different? If we remembered that everything we do or say is being watched and heard by the Lord Almighty, wouldn’t that or shouldn’t that change us? It should for me.


The other verses speak about our words and how we communicate with each other, how we “interact”. It talks about building up and tearing down. It talks about speaking the truth and untruths. Words like “gentle, wise and healing jump out at me. Those words remind me that as a Christian I am to “take the high road” because only Satan and his followers take the low road. Words that describe them are – harsh, folly and deceitful. What road am I on? What road are you on?


As I write this I am truly struggling with the answer to that question. I know what road I want to be on, but what road am I really on? I want to be on the high road. I want to give gentle answers, be filled with Christ’s wisdom and knowledge. I want my words to be healing. How many times have we allowed anger and resentment to crush our spirits only to leave us feeling empty and shallow? We might have the “last word”-but when the smoke clears-how does your heart feel? Mine has felt pretty low at times.


The next time you’re in a situation that you don’t feel you can control, and your anger builds and wants to lash out with strong and hurtful words, remember –we have a choice. We stand at a cross road every day and make a decision with our words and actions what road we will take.


The Bible says in Matt 7:13 & 14


“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction andmanyenter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life and only afewfind it.”


Follow the right road-take the high road” and let’s walk together with Christ.


Father God, please help us to remember that we have choices everyday. Help us to remember that every decision that comes to us does not have to be made without your input. Lord may you guide our attitudes, our actions and our voices. Thank you for everything you have given to us but most of all for your love and forgiveness. In Jesus name-AMEN


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment