Thursday, May 27, 2010

Over-the-Counter Assumptions

"When the sun was setting, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them."
Luke 4:40



I have had some medical issues lately and have been going through several tests and trying different prescription drugs as well as over-the-counter remedies. I'm beginning to think Walgreens knows me on a first name basis. Unfortunately medical issues can be a "trial and error" process- it's process of elimination. At one time last week, I actually had three Dr's in the same room all talking to each other saying "well, ok… what do we know?… it's not this… and it's not this…" and one of them looked up at me and said "oh sorry, we're just thinking out loud to each other" and I had to laugh and answer "oh, it's ok really- it's like I'm not even here" This process can be very frustrating but I know Dr's are human- we sometimes put them on pedestals because they heal, but I always remember that they are only good at what they do because God gave them that ability. He is our Great Healer- and I've come to name this "trial and error" process from the medical field as "over-the-counter assumptions".

I have had medical issues for the past 25 years. I have been blessed with some really fabulous Dr's and some… well, we won't go there ;) And most of the time it's been surgery and/or a new pill. I take several pills- several times a day to make me function properly. I get very weary of medicines-it's a challenge some days to remember to take them like I'm instructed, but when I do- things are so much better, when I don't- I can really tell I've missed a dose.

Isn't our Christian walk like this? We need specific doses of it daily to function properly. We need it- without it things could become fatal. I know when I set aside specific time to be with Christ- my day goes smoother, my attitude is more positive and I just have a better outlook on life in general. When I neglect my faith- it shows in everything I do. Faith is a prescription- not an "over-the-counter assumption". It's something that Christ commands of us but it's up to us to follow through and accept it, allow it to work in our lives and make us better Christians.

Have you had your dose today?

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment