Thursday, May 27, 2010

His Time

Isaiah 40:31 (The Message)

27-31 "... God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And He knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind. "



I was honored to speak at a woman's breakfast this past week and it was the first time I had actually spoke "without a net" (without looking at my notes). And as I was criticizing myself, after the fact, one of the things I felt I did wrong was talk too fast. I'm used to writing, not speaking and my fingers work faster than my brain most of the time and now I know, I guess my tongue does too. How often do we get in a hurry about things that we should savor? I can think of a lot of ways we do that in our lives.

As humans, we tend to hurry. When I was 15 years old, I couldn't wait until I was old enough to be out of high school and on my own. I'll have to admit, being a wife and a mother wasn't in my immediate plans but I wanted to spread my wings and try things on my own. I can see from even farther back than 15 now, that God had a plan and was beginning to work it - but in His time.

Once I did get married and start a family, again- I was in a hurry. "I can't wait for my children to be out of diapers".. "I can't wait for my children to walk, run..." and so the cycle began. And sometimes, I don't' think I've still learned the lesson of waiting on the Lord- waiting for His time.

All those precious years slipped away in what seems now like an instant, forever in my memory, which my daughter so graciously told me a few days ago is now failing me too :) Why are we in such a hurry? I put my grandson down for a nap the other day and as I watched him sleeping so peacefully, I could have just laid there for hours just taking that moment in. His mother was laying on the other side of him and I teared up just thinking about how completely precious he is and seeing Paige there next to him brought back so many memories that I had in my haste, forgotten about until that moment. How blessed am I and how the years had somehow slipped away so quickly. Why was I in such a hurry? It's all about His time.

We get so caught up in everything our lives throw at us. We juggle so many responsibilities and duties everyday that it's so easy to just go through the motions without even giving it a second thought. And at the end of the day we drop, dead tired and then get up the next day and start the cycle all over again. The older I get the more I understand how important it is to wait on the Lord. How important it is to just sit sometimes and enjoy the silence-just sit and listen for His voice to speak to my heart. When I give Him that time, He does speak and how it has impacted me- I wouldn't even begin to have the vocabulary to explain!

Waiting isn't such a bad thing. And wouldn't it be better to just take the time to enjoy the little gifts of time He does give us? What if every time we had to wait on someone or something, we used that to just listen and think upon Him? What if every time we waited in a line at a market, or waited sitting in a Dr's office, we just silently had time to listen to Him? It's His time anyway. He gave it to us and He's using it all in accordance to His plan- His time.

What a blessing His time has been to me and I'm sure has been to you! Every second of every minute of every hour- what a true gift from Him!! So let the clock tick- let the tides come and go because ever second that goes by brings me closer to His plan- His time!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment