Thursday, May 27, 2010

By His Wounds We are Healed

But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5


I received awful news yesterday; one of my best friends was diagnosis with thyroid cancer. The news hit us hard and after tears and questions of “why?” it led me to search my soul for answers that really can only come from God.
My human reaction was “but I want her here”. See, I had made plans, plans that included her in my future, plans to make a life time of memories. Plans to bounce our grandchildren on our knees and laugh till we peed our pants.
I know in my heart that God can heal her. I believe that He is totally capable of such a miracle. Is that what I pray for? That this cup will pass from her? Would that be best for her,… or for me?
When Christ faced the cross, I believe He knew what lie ahead. He knew the suffering; he knew the torture He would endure. He knew it was not because of His sin, but ours that he would be unjustly persecuted. Isaiah 53:5 says that the punishment that brought US peace was upon Him. Peace? Yes, our peace, our salvation, or bridge to eternity with Him. None of that would be possible without His sacrifice.
I don’t want to see my friend suffer or sacrifice her quality of life just so I’ll have her for a few more years of memories. Isn’t that what as Christians we’re to be working toward? - going home? – being in heaven forever with Christ? How can I ask her to stay behind on this earth when she has her reward waiting for her? How selfish of me. No, I love her too much for that. I will pray for God’s Will- His perfect, all knowing and always loving will, His plan.
I will miss her, wow- will I miss her. But I will always hold tight to my precious memories. I will look ahead to the day when I will be reunited with her in His Kingdom. Think of all the memories we will make there!


Julie

* Authors note: This devotion was written a year ago. Since that time our Lord choose to completely heal my friend and she is still with us- God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment