Thursday, May 27, 2010

Honor Your Father

"Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.


Deuteronomy 5:16 (NIV)


Father,… Papa,…Dad,…Pop,…Daddy,… Padre,... Pa- these are some familiar names of we might call our fathers. Personally, I call my father “Dad”. We call God our Father, Jesus called him “Abba Father” Regardless what name you title your father, and the Bible is very specific on how fathers should be. They are to be a good example, teach, disciple, console, protect, provide for and most of all LOVE their children. I’m not sure what your earthly father is/was like. I realize that sometimes the word “father” is nothing more than a technicality. There’s a phrase that I’ve heard and happen to believe in that says “anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad”. I just happen to have a wonderful earthly father. I know that I am blessed. I am super sensitive when it comes to my dad, so I will not be writing this without a box of Kleenex close at hand.

I have some of the most incredible memories as a child because of my dad. He LOVES to fish and we spent many summers camping, hiking, canoeing and fishing. He spent more time fishing my line out of drift wood or a tree then he actually spent getting to fish himself. But he never complained. My father is one of twelve children so to say he’s “family oriented” is an understatement. He loves to have his family around him and now that the years have added grandchildren and even great-grandchildren, the memories just keep pouring out. He loves to be smothered by them and they love him.

I’ve always had the absolution that no matter what mistakes I made as a child- or even make now as an adult- I have NO doubt my dad loves me. I’m sure that under the definition of “unconditional love” in the dictionary- there’s a picture of my dad. I don’t think he’d mind me sharing with you that he’s a very sensitive man. He’s not afraid to say or show how he feels. I’ve seen him cry at the loss of family and friends, at weddings and even at movies. He never misses an opportunity to say he loves me or hug me. I sat on my dad’s lap way past my teenage years.

I know my attitude and relationship with my Heavenly Father is what it is today because of my earthy father. I know because my dad is such a loving example that it’s easy for me to imagine God loving me. I believe and trust because of the security my dad has always provided. I am able to love in return because of my dad’s attitude towards sharing and caring for others. I know I’m a better person because of him.

I could go on and on about my dad and what he means to me and others- he’s just that kind of dad. He’s the kind of dad you want to brag on every chance you get. He’s the kind of dad that will live on in people’s lives and memories way past the hour he’s called Home to receive his reward. If you’ve never experience an earthly father like this, please don’t loose heart because you always have a Heavenly Father that’s even greater. He will never leave you or forsake you. I can guarantee you 100% that He will never let you down. My earthly father isn’t perfect, but my Heavenly One is- PTL.

Please tell you father today how much you love him. If not your earthly one- then your Heavenly One. Honor him today and every day.

I love you Dad!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment