Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rolling Thunder

1 Samuel 12:16-18 (The Message)
16-17 "Pay attention! Watch this wonder that God is going to perform before you now! It's summer, as you well know, and the rainy season is over. But I'm going to pray to God. He'll send thunder and rain, a sign to convince you of the great wrong you have done to God by asking for a king."
18 Samuel prayed to God, and God sent thunder and rain that same day. The people were greatly afraid and in awe of God and of Samuel.

When I was a little girl, my dad would let me stand outside under protection of the porch and watch a storm when it came. For some reason, being able to see the rain, wind and thunder made me less afraid. Even now when it storms, I want to be outside. Last night as I arrived home I could see a storm coming. The clouds were thick and dark just in the distance. You could smell the rain approaching. So I sat on my front porch and waited.

The thunder of a storm always makes me very anxious. Waiting for the pop and crack, not knowing when it would hit is always the highlight of a storm for me. But last night there was no popping or cracking of thunder. It was a thunder I have never remembered hearing before, but I believe it’s what they call “rolling thunder”. The thunder just steadily continued, almost with no end. In a way it was almost soothing, unlike the thunder that I had experienced.

I’m a little unsure on how to explain this but I’m in a way, a person that enjoys living on the edge just a bit. I’ve been known to cross the line, go too far, over step the boundaries. I bet, in my youth I was what some call a “strong-willed” child. I’m a thrill seeker. I love things like roller coasters, fast cars and thunder and lighting. But putting myself at risk means putting myself in danger. I do not believe I am invincible. But something in me enjoys being scared just a little bit.

When we live on the edge, play with fire or just get to close to danger- we’re going to get hurt or hurt someone else. Danger can be subtle like this rolling thunder. We can feel that’s it’s fine and we’re not at risk but about the time we entertain that thought- we get hit by lightening or burnt by the fire- self inflicted mind you. And it’s almost a jolt that brings you back to reality and you think to yourself- why did I do that? That was really stupid. Been there- done that.

As I sat and listened to that rolling thunder last night, I pondered the thoughts above. Why does it take me getting struck by lightening to get my attention some times? Why is there such a thrill to hear the thunder? I don’t know the answer to these questions but I do know that when I allow myself to be open to the Holy Spirit and it’s leading in my life, I’m more apt to play it safe. I really don’t like to be hurt or hurt others. I love to live life to it’s fullest, but that doesn’t mean I have to be scared or thrilled to enjoy it.

I know I will continue to watch storms because it’s a sense of comfort and security. But just like the thunder that follows lightening, I will watch for signs of danger. I will use the scriptures and the Holy Spirit to protect me from allowing myself to get too close. I will thank God for the storms because they have and will continue to teach me so much, but I be more guarded about putting myself out there in harms way.. Life’s full enough of challenges and trials for me to go looking for trouble on my own.

Thank you for allowing me to be a little more transparent- I pray that it will help you and encourage you to remember to always seek God’s protection and provision!


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment