Monday, May 24, 2010

She Touched Him

(vs36)Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. (37)When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, (38)and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. (39)When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner."

(40)Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you." "Tell me, teacher," he said. (41)"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii,[d] and the other fifty. (42)Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?" (43)Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled." "You have judged correctly," Jesus said. (44)Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. (45)You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. (46)You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. (47)Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." (48)Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." (49)The other guests began to say among themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" (50)Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Luke 7: 36-50

This story has always been on of my favorites. I'm not sure if it's because it shows God's love and mercy towards a sinful woman. I'm not sure if it's because He uses this sinful woman's presence as an opportunity to teach a very valuable lesson, but I do know the one thing that encourages me is that this sinful woman was TOUCHING Jesus.

Friends, I am a sinful woman. I could have been this woman. My sins have separated me so far from God that only His Grace could bring me back home. I've been on my knees at His feet- have you been there? I've cried out to him in my darkest hour- have you been there? I've begged for the forgiveness that only He can give. I've given empty promise, after empty promise and still.... He loves and forgives me. Have you been there?

This woman had the opportunity to TOUCH Him. She washed His feet with her tears-She TOUCHED Him! I've shed enough tears to wash His whole entire body. She dried His feet with her hair! She TOUCHED Him. She anointed His feet with perfume- She TOUCHED Him! I can't even fathom what it would be like to TOUCH Him, to sit as His feet and serve Him!

I believe I will someday. I believe I will TOUCH Him and He will wrap me in His arms and the tears of joy will flow. I will feel His unbelievable love for me. I will be warm and safe. All the years of betrayal will melt away and He will say to me "You're forgiven" and I will have a song in my heart and it will be unbelievably wonderful. I will TOUCH Him.

"Father, my dearest Father- how I love you! Thank you for being a loving Father. Thank you for being a forgiving Father. Thank you for taking this sinful empty woman and pouring your Spirit in me and allowing me to be called Your child. What a privilege to say that I belong to You! I await the day when I can touch You and give you all that I am, all that You've created me to be."
In Jesus Name- AMEN

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment