Thursday, May 27, 2010

Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It

Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It


My favorite ice cream store has three choices for serving sizes: “Like It”- “Love It” and “Gotta Have It”. I’ve always requested the “Like It” size because it’s more than enough for me. This quantity is perfect if you want just enough- and not too much.

The “Love It” size is significantly bigger- you can really tell the difference between the “Like It” and “Love It” and I’ve been tempted at times to try the “Love It” size but I’m just worried it would put me over the edge and I’d feel miserable afterward.

But I’ve witnessed other customers with their “Gotta Have It” mound of cool cream decadence. It literally flows over the sides of the containers it’s so huge. I can’t imagine finishing something of that magnitude without becoming physically sick- but I’ve witnessed it with my own eyes and the recipients seem to enjoy every bite.

My question to you today is – What size is your faith? Do you “like it”, “love it” or “gotta have it”?

Are you satisfied with “like it” faith? Do you just get enough to make you feel full and don’t worry about over indulging? Maybe you’re content to spend a couple Sunday’s a month at church or an evening or two reading a Christian book or magazine. Do you worry that if you show more interest that it will jump up and grab you and you might look like you’re enjoying it too much?

What about “love it” faith- who would that represent? Maybe someone that is devoted to being an active member of the body of Christ- maybe they teach Sunday School or sing on the Praise Team. They attend faithfully and live their faith outside the walls of the church and beyond Sunday mornings.

Or “gotta have it” faith- the kind of faith that oozes at the seams- that can’t be contained because you’re literally over flowing with joy and the presence of the Holy Spirit in your life. You’re so contagious that people don’t have to hear you say a word, they know by your actions that you love Jesus and serve him with every breath.

What size is your faith? What size do you want your faith to be? The Bible says:

“(15)I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! (16)So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”
Revelation 3:15 & 16. (NIV)


We are to be on fire in our faith- live it every day- breath in His presence so in everything we do we reflect Him. We “gotta have it”! We can’t just “like it” or “love it”- we “gotta have it”! We have to overflow with our love for Him- the walls of the church should not contain us- we are to flow out to our neighbors or co-workers, our families, our friends, even our enemies. We are to reach the lost- don’t settle for “like it” or “love it”- over indulge this time and go for the “gotta have it”!


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment