Thursday, May 27, 2010

Football and Faith

I’m pretty sure that Jesus didn’t have football like we do- at least not the full structured game. And I have to admit, I don’t watch sports like I use to in the past, but I do watch the Super Bowl (mostly for the commercials). And when I think about the concept of the game, the team work that’s involved, the discipline it takes and the strength and determination to fulfill the outcome- I can understand a little better how God works and expects us to interact with each other.

Bear with me here for just a minute, because I know Chase (my son) is reading this and saying “MOM, you don’t understand the first thing about football, and he’s right- I have never played the game, but the skeleton of the game I understand.

I understand that there is a draft at the beginning stage. That coaches select players according to their “abilities”. The Bible says that God chose us before we were born.

“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb”
Psalm 139:13


I think that makes us extra special because God doesn’t wait to see if we “make the cut” before He decides if we’re good enough.- We’re good enough just because we belong to Him.

I understand there’s conditioning and strengthening exercises that football players endure. The Bible says we are to treat our body’s as temples and fully use them for His purpose.

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;”

I Corinthians 6:19



I understand there are many different pieces to a football uniform. They are to protect the players from serious injury. The Bible says as Christians we are to:

“Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
Ephesians 6:11-17

I understand that there are a lot of different players that make up the team- each one has a job that is specific to their gifts and graces. Without one, they won’t play in harmony and to the best of their abilities. This is a lot like the body of Christ. The Bible says:

"For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly:if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."

Romans 12: 4-8


I understand that victory comes to those that play the game successfully- As Christians, the Bible says:

"It's not that I have already reached this goal or have already become perfect. But I keep pursuing it, hoping somehow to embrace it just as I have been embraced by the Messiah Jesus."

Philippians 3:12

So, see- there are some similarity between football and being a Christian. And I may not have played football, but I like to think of Christ as my head coach. I know He cheers me on, prepares me for what’s coming- gives me the tools to be successful and never stops believing in my abilities. Thanks Coach!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment