Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pedicures

I realize that I have a number of men that receive this devotion every week and yes, this is for you too. I LOVE to receive a pedicure. I don’t normally get them but in the summer when I wear sandals and I love them. There’s something about someone washing your feet that is SO relaxing. I think it’s the ultimate in pampering!


Pedicures take awhile to have done. It’s a process, but when they are done correctly, your feet will never be the same! The last time I was sitting in the chair soaking my feet, an older man came in, gray hair, bib overalls- he looked like he had just came in from feeding the livestock and behind him walked what I assumed was his wife. She like him was well on in her years and he lovingly and gently helped her into the big chair to start to soak her feet. As I watched him, I realized he was helping himself into the chair next too her. I remember thinking to myself “surely he’s not going to get a pedicure too”- Yep, he put his feet down in the warm bubbly water and together they enjoy a pedicure. Now, there’s a sight you don’t see everyday!

Did you know that Jesus gave pedicures?

“(4)so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. (5)After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

(6)He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
(7)Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."
(8)"No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."
(9)"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"
(10)Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you." 11For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

(12)When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. (13)"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. (14)Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. (15)I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. (16)I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. (17)Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

John 13: 4 -17


What I find incredible about this story are a couple things. First, I’m sure that the roads were very long, dirty and dusty- they walked everywhere. I can visualize the disciple’s feet as less attractive then I’m sure the reality was. Now, I’m not a huge fan of feet; I just don’t believe I’ve ever seen pair that are attractive. Even when they’re all softened and nails painted, they still leave something to be desired in my eyes. I can only imagine how dirty they were at that time in history. I’m sure that Jesus didn’t have all the fancy nail clippers, emery boards, fragrant bath oil and toe separators like they do at salons. But did that stop Him from kneeling and washing His disciple’s feet? Nope. And he had an entire table full of feet to wash- and He washed each one by one.


Secondly, I’m totally in awe of the example He gave us by washing the disciple’s feet. The Bible says He washed ALL of the disciple’s feet, not all but one- He washed ALL of them- He washed Judas’s feet too. The man he knew that within hours would betray Him into the hands of his enemies- He washed his feet. The man that He loved and had trusted as one of His chosen twelve- He knelt and washed his feet too.. Now, I don’t know about you, but I don’t mind washing feet, mine or anyone else’s that I love and care about, but my enemies??? Someone that’s betrayed me??? Get on my knees and serve them??? What an example of pure, unconditional love. That is a picture I want to always keep in my mind. It’s a quality that I need to practice daily. Not on special occasions, not when I’m feeling generous, not when I have all the right thoughts- DAILY. How much better would the world be if we all would remember to serve our brothers and sisters, our family, our friends, our co-workers, and yes, even those that we find hard to deal with on a daily basis? Jesus was our example- He washes our feet every time we fail because He loves us. Whose feet can you/will you wash today?



Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment