Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tune In

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

John 10:27



My wonderful husband loves talk radio. Now as most of you know, it wasn't that long ago that it was pretty much limited to an AM radio station. Turn on the TV now and we have channels designated solely to news, commentary and just about anything you can possible think to talk about. He loves to listen to heated debates regarding politics, current events and religion. He travels all day in a vehicle so this is his only link for outside communication most of the day. But his love of talking isn't just limited to the radio, it has now migrated onto the TV when he arrives home.



Please remember above I did call him my "wonderful" husband :) I have a confession- I don't like talk radio or television. To me, it's like remembering as a child trying to tune in an AM channel and only getting static. I would rather listen to completely nothing than to listen to static, even if it's just in the background. I even work in a building that actually pipes in "white noise". It's subtle- you have to really concentrate to hear it, but it's there.



I become really frustrated when I hear these heated discussions- everyone fighting for position, everyone wanting to be heard. People interrupting, raising their voices and pointing their fingers. To me, it just sounds like static. It's hard to distinguish what the point of the discussion is because everyone is talking at the same time or not being allowed to finish their statement.



When I do sit down and listen to the local news or something that's not a debate, I really enjoy it. I can concentrate and really absorb the content. I find myself totally in tune with what the person on the other side is saying. I understand them, hear them clearly and learn something new most of the time.



Are our spiritual lives like this? When we allow ourselves to be too busy, too preoccupied we're not tuned in to what God wants to tell us. Sometimes we're too busy trying to get our point across to listen to what He has to say. We're consumed with our side of the day or the situation. Listen to ME- Hear ME- Tune ME in. It's all about ME.



Let me tell you something that I can say with 110% confidence- I am more tuned in and hear more when I am quiet than when I'm fighting for position to be heard. When we allow His Spirit to just quiet our hearts and minds- His Spirit moves in us and we hear all kinds of none earthly static! It's a Peace- a calming of our spirit. I want to challenge you this week to take time to tune OUT yourself and tune IN God. Find a quiet spot, if only for a few minutes and just stop thinking about everything on your heart and allow Him to tell you about His plans and promises. Ask for His Spirit to just overtake the static- all the worldly distractions and just dwell for a few priceless minutes on Him. You won't be disappointed!



Heavenly Father, I praise you for giving me a voice. I praise you for allowing me to be heard. I praise you for all the times you listen to it being all about ME. Help me to stop, tune in and listen to You. I ask for Your Spirit to lead my heart away from my concerns and bring me to your side where I can be at peace and have complete rest. Thank you so much for the promises I have in You. Thank you for tuning me in and tuning out the static!- In Jesus Name- AMEN


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment